Cell broadcast alert (Mobile Phone Broadcast Alert) technology can prove to be effective for the state of Uttarakhand surrounded by potential disasters. Through this, the damage caused after disasters like cloudburst, lightning, avalanche, landslide can be reduced to a great extent. This technology alerts people through mobile phones in case of disaster.
In such a situation, all the mobiles present in the potential disaster area will start ringing automatically, even if the network in that area is down. In the workshop organized by Uttarakhand State Disaster Management Authority (USDMA), Ronen Daniel, CEO of Ootimaco Company gave his presentation on SAIL Broadcast. He told that in times of disaster, this technology alerts people in minimum time.
Meteorological warnings also issued
The system is capable of disseminating CMAS alerts, which is the best standard in the world for issuing alerts. The CMAS alert is preceded by a loud beeping sound alarm tone on the mobile, the phone vibrates continuously and a pop-up message appears, which does not go off until the person closes it himself. It has the capability to alert millions of people within a few minutes. He told that through this technique weather related warnings are also issued.
All the countries of the world like Japan, Canada, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Korea, Netherlands, European Union are adopting this technology today. In India, the state of Andhra Pradesh has adopted this technique, where there is a danger of tsunami and cyclone coming.
Key Features of Cell Broadcast
- – Real time and location-based alerts
- – Doesn’t require mobile numbers… can reach up to a million people in seconds unlike SMS.
- – There is no subscriber privacy issue, as cell broadcast does not require mobile numbers for transmission.
- – Works even when there is a network jam (effective during flare-ups of communal riots etc.)
- – No data required, works in multiple languages simultaneously.
- – Complies with all emergency standards.
- – Alerts appear even when the screen is off and cannot be forwarded.
- – Only Government can send cell broadcast alerts unlike SMS.